42 Mercer Street (with 40 Mercer):
Architect: Charles Steadman
Federal/Greek Revival double house built c. 1830's.
(With No. 40 Mercer Street)
Princeton Architectural Survey No. 1109-2-128:
"Double house with 2 entrance doors at center under small porch.
Fluted Ionic columns support porch roof with dentils and carved floral type
frieze. Fluted Ionic pilasters on wall under porch. Doors have individual
transoms with cast iron muntins and fancy moldings. Lattice work on both
porch sides. Louvered shutters on all windows....
Significance: Fine Federal/Greek Revival transitional
building with equally fine cast-iron fence....Very fine details around door and
cornice....Its siting allows it to make a strong contribution to the appearance
of the street, and to contribute to the Alexander streetscape as well. "
Numbers 40 and 42 were allegedly designed by Charles Steadman for his two
No. 42 was the first home of Miss Fine's School, which later relocated and
eventually became part of Princeton Day School.
Tradition that Jennie Jerome (later to marry Randolph Churchill) stayed here
while visiting her brother who was then a student at Princeton University.